Friday, August 1, 2014

'Our Strength Lies in Our Differences'

For our multi-national Cultural Dimensions team, yesterday saw the climax of our summer-long intern project. In one and a half short hours, we collectively delivered the culmination of eleven weeks' worth of research hours, conference calls, script-writing and practice presentations.

As its name would suggest, the aim of our project has been to acknowledge and understand the cultural diversity that exists in each of the countries in which Dwellworks operates. From the research that Shane and I have conducted into the USA and the interactions that I have been lucky enough to have with my fellow interns in Cleveland and Ottawa, I can wholeheartedly confirm that this has been achieved.

While working internationally can often prove a little logistically challenging, the minor technological hindrances that we experienced over the weeks were not enough to detract from a premise that was central to our presentation - 'culture only exists by comparison'. Indeed, from all of the countless hours of research and meetings this is undoubtedly the strongest idea that sticks in my mind. After all, if culture can only be defined in relation to other cultures, then how this is defined is not by what is the same, but by what it is unique.

From working so closely with Shane in Ottawa, I can definitely attest to the fact that 'strength lies in differences'. Although we realised quite early on that we have an uncanny amount of things in common, the things that we found the most interesting about each others' cultures were undeniably the things that were different. Let's be honest, I think we were all a little blown away by the fact that Canadians store milk in bags.

But all jokes aside, if there's one thing that I'd like the various teams at Dwellworks to take from yesterday's presentation, it is the idea that global diversity can only enhance and improve a company's prospects. This is something that I have experienced week-in, week-out during my time here at Dwellworks in the UK; I am confident that with this kind of mentality, the company can only continue to grow and expand.

To my fellow team-mates: Valarie, Zach, Amber, Colton, Alex, Kaitlyn and of course, Shane - I'd like to extend a huge thank you for all of your patience, time and hard work. The presentation was pretty killer, even if I do say so myself.

What a great way to spend a summer!

- Sophie Moore,
  DS Intern, UK


No comments:

Post a Comment