Friday, July 18, 2014

Group Project Lessons


The things I learned from my group project focused mostly on the information we gathered and what technology is out there for companies to reach their target audience. Outside of taking a few basic surveys here and there, I had never created my own Survey Monkey or Prezi. I had never really considered what a young professional would like from Dwellworks or even what I would like as a service from Dwellworks if asked. After spending a lot of time working with Survey Monkey and developing questions, I have a much greater appreciation for how difficult it can be to reach your target audience. After having a somewhat successful survey response, some of the answers were surprising even to me. Having worked in depth writing questions etc., I thought I had a pretty good idea of what the answers would be, but I was way off in some areas.


When writing questions, we focused on three areas of communication with transferees. One area was focused on how we could communicate with a younger generation. As technology makes communication easier in theory, it’s hard to decide where to draw the line between convenience and impersonal customer service. What I expected to find is that people would love the idea of a mobile app, that they would be on board with a portal and that they would be less inclined to want to meet in person. In many ways trends show people moving away from personal contact, but in the moving process, there are some things that you just can’t experience online. There is something to be said for visiting that home in person, for talking to a DSC on the phone to know their personality, or having a phone number to call with an emergency question. Though technology is appreciated and expected, making sure we offer personal customer service is just as important as the technology. People feel more comfortable if they know they have the option to reach a real person. Even if they don’t call their DSC or meet them in person, knowing they can makes customers so much happier. Understanding how to find this balance is something I was not expecting and as I continue in my career, keeping that balance in mind will be a tool I pull out almost every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment