Monday, July 28, 2014

Why Dwellworks?

I have learned more about how a business operates in the last ten weeks than I have throughout my entire academic career. I am sure this can be said for most people who conduct internships, but here are some of the things I thought were unique about it, or things Dwellworks did not necessarily have to do as part of my internship but can be incredibly helpful to my career endeavors throughout my life.

For starters, just in this last week, HR facilitated a workshop on resume writing, and interviews. This entailed being education on security of online profiles, where and how to apply for jobs based on my explicit career goals, how to maintain a professional appearance to potential employers, not just physically in person but over email and phone conversations as well. As a follow up to this workshop, the HR department is reviewing my resume, helping me set up my Linkedin profile, and conducting a mock interview with a member of senior management in order to better prepare myself for future interviews. Not to mention, my internship leader is a great supporting force to making sure I get the most experience out of these twelve weeks by giving me specific feedback in monthly evaluations.

I have learned an amazing bit of information about not only how a company works but also how I fit into the company. I have discovered when one begins their professional career; they create a professional identity. Similar to how others form opinions about you based on your interactions with them and defines the relationship in question. Only in business, the relationships with co workers, clients, and management is based on how one handles his/herself in a professional setting. Everyone has different goals and live their lives differently.  Just as I have molded the person I am today, I must take the appropriate steps to be the professional I want to be, and this internship experience has helped me learn how to do this.


My specific internship is great but the extra things Dwellworks offers along with the people are what really add value. These are a few of many reasons I would recommend this internship to a classmate in the future. 

Nick Ferrara
Research Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment