Monday, July 14, 2014

Why I chose Dwellworks

Why did I decide to take the Dwellworks internship?

Initially, my plan for the summer of 2014 was to study abroad. I had applied, had been accepted, and had even put down my deposit for a 6-week program in Luxembourg, where my university has a campus. However, as this year's brutal winter transitioned into spring, my parents began expressing disapproval of going abroad, favoring a summer internship experience instead. And so began the summer job search.

I turned where all searching students my age turn: the Internet. I sorted through a montage of job listings on a handful of career websites. I'd narrowed it down to a few for which to apply and was fortunate enough to be interviewed by three companies.

Throughout the process, Dwellworks seemed to be among the most personable. I knew this was true when I interviewed with Suzy, the marketing director, and Matt, the marketing coordinator. The interview was conducted over Skype since my university is hours away from Dwellworks' Cleveland headquarters, but due to the unreliable nature of Skype connectivity proved very difficult. We even resorted to FaceTime on Matt's iPhone, but that too suffered from what I imagine to be poor Internet connection. Despite the video-chat issues, that interview gave me a small glimpse into the personality of the organization as a whole, and I knew then that it was something I wanted to be a part of.

When I received the phone call offering me the internship, I accepted within 24 hours and canceled my interviews with other companies.

The funny thing is that now, instead of studying in Luxembourg, I'm simply studying Luxembourg, as it has been my country assignment for the intern project on cultural dimensions.

- Kaitlyn, Marketing Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment