Monday, July 7, 2014

Lunchtime Noms

Where is my favorite place to eat lunch? I often pack a lunch and eat it by the big, second-floor windows in the front of the Dwellworks building or outside in the plaza across the street.

But this summer, I set a small goal to enjoy Playhouse Square and the surrounding Cleveland area by trying a new place to eat every week. With the help of fellow interns and other people around the office, I compiled a (large) list of restaurants I’d like to try. So far, I’ve only crossed off about ¼ of the list, but even if I don’t make it to half of the items on the list, at least I still had the pleasure of experiencing some new places and cuisine.

Below is a list of the Cleveland restaurants I have tried thus far, along with a little blurb for each.

+  Walnut Wednesday Food Trucks – while I haven’t made it to the food trucks in a while, I absolutely loved it when I went with the rest of the interns. The area was bustling with people young and old, dressed up or dressed down, and a multitude of trucks offered a variety of food options.
+  Aladdin’s – When Suzy invited us to make the walk to Aladdin’s, I was obliged to say yes. Although not related to the Mediterranean chain restaurant bearing the same name, this Aladdin’s is a market featuring authentic Middle Eastern food. I indulged in pita and hummus.
+  Cibreo – Along with the rest of the associates at Dwellworks’ Cleveland headquarters, I was treated to an Italian lunch at Cibreo for the company’s Town Hall. The atmosphere was impressive and the food was simply tasty.
+  Burgers 2 Beer – When my mom, aunt, and cousin joined me for lunch one day, we found ourselves in this local burger joint. I decided to make things interesting by adding to (the inside of) my burger one of my favorite things: macaroni and cheese. In all honesty, though, it could hardly be tasted.
+  Roth Child Farms – On the day of our MAGIC Customer Service training, the company allowed us to place orders from Roth Child Farms. I nommed on a hearty chicken-salad sandwich. On another occasion, I ventured back to Roth Child Farms for soft-serve ice cream; my banana foster was good, though expensive nonetheless.
+  Farmer’s Market – Once a week, a small farmer’s market congregates in the plaza across the street. If the weather is nice, it’s pleasant to stroll through the market, sample the breads and jams, and listen to the live, exotic music.
+  Map of Thailand – As the name conveys, Map of Thailand is a Thai restaurant and one of the last places I would have chosen on my own to eat at. However, I was excited to expand my food repertoire. As an appetizer, I ordered a rich, creamy, chilled, coconut soup. I tried the cashew chicken as my main course and absolutely loved it. Plus, my rice was served formed to the shape of a cone, and I challenged myself to eat everything with a pair of chopsticks.
+  Cleveland Pickle – Even though its personified pickle mascot is a little creepy, the sub sandwiches from the Cleveland Pickle are both filling and delicious.
+  Slyman’s – Messy is the only word needed to describe a Slyman’s sandwich. Although it is known for its giant corned beef sandwiches, I opted for a warm, turkey sandwich.  I ate the whole thing and was uncomfortably stuffed afterward, but it was worth it.

Where will the next lunch adventure take me? Time will tell!

-Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment