Friday, July 11, 2014

Week 8: Give us an Example of How You’ve Experienced Dwellworks Culture: Something in the Water


Experience and culture are two illusive things to put into words. Even when you think you pin either down, you’re talking about facts and circumstances that add up into something, but don’t really define it.  They’re just incomplete parts of the whole; experience and culture. 
         
Take, for instance, one of my favorite “experiences” in the world: a tight basketball game, in the final seconds, when your team finds a way to win at the buzzer .  I can do my best to describe the way my heart races, the way the blood throbs in my temples, the way I go hoarse as the arena explodes in jubilation, the way the floor vibrates from jumping fans, and the dizzying glee that overwhelms you while you give high-fives to anyone with open hands.  But no amount of words capture what it really means to experience it.  You have to be there to know what it’s really like.
            
So too with culture.  In Tibet, wild yaks are holy and thus killing them is a crime.  But domestic yaks are the source of nearly all meat, butter, leather, and wool in the whole “province.”  Those are two interesting facts about Tibet. They’re parts of the culture.  But they don’t tell you what it’s like the experience Tibetan culture.  Even if I continue on, and tell you about eating with a knife as your only utensil, or harvesting rape plants to make canola oil, or the semi-wild dogs that protect their homes, or how you can’t sleep with your feet facing the Buddha in the bedroom.  All of these are true.  But you’ll never know what it’s like to experience Tibetan culture through merely knowing them.
            
So this prompt is not quite simply answered.  In order to describe how I’ve experienced Dwellworks culture, I have to figure out the best way to capture Dwellworks culture in words, and then pick an instance of experiencing it, and try to describe what it actually meant to experience it; all tasks tall.
             
What is Dwellworks’ culture anyway?  Is it the way people greet you in the morning, afternoon, and evening, no matter how much you’ve actually worked with them in the day to day?  Is it the way everyone will drop just about anything to help you out when you need a hand?  Or could it be the way we all gather for snacks a couple times each month, and share a collective break and catch our collective breath?  Or might it be, and I think it very well could, the quality you know you’re going to get when you interact with a Dwellworks employee.  I don’t mean quality work necessarily (though there’s plenty of that).  I mean quality of character, quality of the actual human being. 
              
It’s almost sinister how simple it is: Dwellworks hires people with a high degree of cultural fit in mind.  The right people for the environment do the best job in that environment, it stands to reason.  And it works.  Maybe it’s just because everyone fits in here that everyone is so great at being an excellent individual. 
                
Whatever the case may be, I think that’s the best definition of Dwellworks culture- an environment in which everyone treats everyone else with supreme respect and dignity simply because it’s the right thing to do, and because we are all wired to thrive in that sort of environment.
              
I’m sure everyone doesn’t agree on everything at Dwellworks.  Indeed, I know first-hand that that’s the case.  But there’s no amount of disrespect or derision in disagreement.  Likewise, even as an intern, I feel like my viewpoint and opinion are valued.  A lot of internships manufacture work for interns that could go undone and it wouldn’t make a difference.  Personally, and from what I’ve seen and heard from the other interns, that’s the opposite of how Dwellworks conducts its internships.  We’re treated like full members of the team, even if our jobs have an end date. 
            
This week’s prompt asks for a single instance, but it’s hard to pick just one.  I’ve been in countless meetings, discussing everything from employee recruitment to foreign taxes, and not once have I felt like I couldn’t contribute because I’m just an intern. There are times, in fact, where it feels like I’m the only one who really does what I do- I actually feel like the work I do would be missed. 
             
I don’t say all this to puff up our intern job descriptions, but to make a point about how Dwellworks treats people and how the people of Dwellworks treat each other: everyone is valued for exactly what they do.  No assignment is too small; no person’s story is worthless.  I feel like I’m part of a team of people that care about each other and the work that we all do.  There’s a sense that everyone here is invaluable to the company, and invaluable to the world. 
             
Dwellworks culture isn’t just about generating profits- it’s about generating an inclusive experience that makes everyone feel important and valued.  That’s no small thing.  I’m glad I get to be a part of it every single day at work. 
            
Because I do feel like I should pick one experience, I’ll describe one quick thing.  Last year’s legal intern, a guy I actually went to law school with (til he graduated last semester) still comes back for lunch every few weeks.  I think that fact says something about the culture of Dwellworks- it’s more than just a working relationship- it’s about life and working together, even when the work relationship ends. 
               
 There’s probably something to all of it that ties into the idea of relocation services: this company exists, at its most basic, to welcome people to new places and make their transitions easier.  That spirit of hospitality permeates everything we do here.  No one in the legal department ever really talks with transferees (indeed, if we do, it’s probably a bad thing.)  It isn’t “necessary” for the legal department to be imbued with the same generous hospitality as the destination services team.  But it is. All of Dwellworks is.  Mistake, strategy, or coincidence has created a culture here that is, in a word, irresistible.


-Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment