Thursday, May 22, 2014

Breaking Out of the Corporate Culture Mold


First Impressions of Dwellworks

In any situation, the first few moments heavily influence how the whole situation could develop. First impressions only happen once so it is important to make a good, lasting impression. Entering into my first internship I had some reservations about the type of people I would be working with and the stress of working in an office all day with a heavy workload. From the first interview with Dwellworks I felt comfortable. I did not feel as if I was interviewed, instead I felt that I was having a conversation with coworkers.

On the first day I immediately saw the culture that Dwellworks takes pride in. I was welcomed by HR and my leader, and everyone was friendly and eager to meet the interns, which I did not expect. I had the expectation that the interns would be a side note in the organization and not play many roles in helping the business succeed. At Dwellworks, I see that the internship program is something that is important to the organization. From first day introductions, meeting the CEO and CFO, and playing catch phrase to having meetings with our leaders to learn more about the company and what it is that we will be doing. When management takes time out of their day to teach interns about the company, it reflects on the culture and value that is placed on interns. I immediately felt that helping the interns succeed is as important as ensuring the company succeeds. Intern projects, the blog, and improving the interns’ resumes and interview skills show that Dwellworks takes pride in developing their interns, not just for the company’s success, but for the future success of the intern as well.

Dwellworks is a fun place to work and I see that through the interactions of coworkers and how much everyone at Dwellworks appreciates each other as coworkers and as people. I had the thought that my first internship would be consisting of me sitting at a small desk, secluded from the office, with little interaction with others. I was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong. I am encouraged to speak with my superiors and interact with all members of the organization, not just my leaders. Dwellworks is a special place to work, and I could not choose a better organization to start my career at.


Kevin Mullinger


Valuation Services Intern


Cleveland, Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment