Friday, May 23, 2014

Week 1 First Impressions: The Man with the Mouse



 
They say the corporate culture of creating wonder and magic from everyday experiences is so strong at Disney, that new hires often leave voluntarily, if their own personalities and goals don’t match it.  I read that years ago, and I’ve always wondered what it would be like to work at a place so radically different that the typical corporate-drone type literally couldn’t survive.  The HR rep in charge of the Intern Program here at Dwellworks likes to say it’s a bit like Disney around here.  I’m not sure if it’s what she means, but I’m beginning to think she might be more correct than she realizes.

                And with that, the first week of summer comes to a close.  My first week interning in the legal department at Dwellworks HQ in Cleveland is already over, as quickly as it began.  It’s hard to believe, but there are only 11 weeks left of this experience, two of those shortened by holidays.  That means only 9 more full weeks, 53 days total, remain.  As with any summer, I’m sure it will go fast, but this one particularly so.

                This week we hit the ground running, as they say.  Before the end of the first day, I was working on 13 different projects and research assignments.  As of this writing, I’ve got 18.  There will probably be even more than that by the end of the day.  But don’t let the numerics of this whole process give you the wrong idea: I am far from overwhelmed; it’s much more like bounding from one exciting task to the next throughout the day.

                But all of that is just a broad description of my ever-increasing task-list.  I’m supposed to be writing about my first impressions from my first week working at Dwellworks.  And that, well, that’s something any task list can’t exactly capture.

                I wasn’t entirely sure what Dwellworks is or does when I applied for this internship.  Even by the end of the summer, I’m sure I won’t understand all of the intricacies of property management, destination, or valuation services.   But understanding all three of the major corporate functions Dwellworks performs would explain a very small part of what Dwellworks actually is, at least as I see it one week in. 

                You see, Dwellworks is more than just a dollar-chasing corporation seeking automatons to churn out ever-more-profitable work product.   It’s apparent that this company cares about its employee beyond their ability to produce profits.  It’s cliché to say that the best thing about any organization is the people, but here, it’s true in all its trappings.  Dwellworks is a company built on values beyond the bottom line: it really does seem to be a place driven by making the world a better, more enjoyable place to live.  Everyone seems to love it here.

For the next 11 weeks, it’s apparent that I’ll love it too.  For the next 11 weeks, I’ll get to know, at least a little bit, what it’s like to work at Disney.
-Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment