Friday, May 23, 2014

Dwellworks First Impressions: Too Legit to Quit

Even though I have had an internship experience before, I still was not quite sure what to expect from this one. It was almost as if I was a student that transferred to a new high school, thankfully without the high school drama. I suppose what I mean by the scenario of that analogy is that I have been to a “high school” before, I had a general understanding of what I would do with my time here but there were still so many variables to be solved one way or another. Also just like that first day at a new school, I did not know anyone when I walked in those doors, experiencing anxiety just wondering “are the people here nice or is this going to be miserable?” and ultimately “am I a good fit for this new environment?”.

I could not be happier to report that the people are incredibly welcoming I think I am on my way to fitting in here. The HR department does a great job of having the interns interact with all of the employees in order to avoid awkward office interactions. For example, the interns have to go around the office to each employee, ask a basic question, and get their signature. Also, the interns join one of the many committees that are geared towards positive employee satisfaction. On Wednesday the Wellness committee brought in yogurt, granola, and blueberries for a healthy afternoon snack. Today (Friday), the Fun committee made it possible for everyone to dress casually in summer attire and will be serving ice cream.

All of the employees I work with are extremely intelligent and very willing to pass their wisdom onto me. I feel that I have already learned so much just within my first week of working here. In addition to all the great things I am learning to help me on my career path, I am learning how to make work not feel like work; maybe even how to make work feel fun.

Nick Ferrara
Market Research Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment