Friday, June 20, 2014

20 Minutes v. 1 Hour Round-Trip Commute

The biggest adjustment for me from college-life to work-life is the commute.  I really don’t mind the drive to and from work (20-25 minutes without traffic) but it does seem like a lot of wasted time.  Usually I try to leave by a certain time so that I don’t have to worry about traffic so it’s not a big deal but there are some days that traffic is unavoidable.  Just the other day, I left at the normal time to beat the traffic but there was a bad accident on I-90 E and it took me an hour and a half to get to work.  The entire time I was sitting in traffic I was thinking about how it was wasting so much of my day. 

For me, it’s not really a matter of having to wake up and spend more time getting ready for work than for class since I get ready in the same amount of time.  However, it is so much nicer being able to get ready and then be where I have to be in the next 10 minutes like at school.  Working in downtown and living in the suburbs, I get ready and then have to drive about a half hour (if there’s no traffic) before being able to get to work. 

If I could, I would choose to live downtown so that I wouldn't have to drive to work, pay for parking and pay for gas (among other reasons for living downtown).  A lot of people spend so much time commuting to work and sitting in traffic every single day but for me, this seems like a huge waste of time, especially after weeks, months or years of doing this, time adds up.  I love working downtown and being a part of life in the city but I don’t like the idea of spending (wasting) 55 hours (60 minutes round trip * 55 day internship) commuting to and from work this summer.     

Alex
Global Supply Chain

Cleveland

No comments:

Post a Comment