Friday, June 27, 2014

Madridismo and Ginga Brasileira

Warning for everyone except Sophie: I use the word "football" instead of "soccer" in this article (oh no!).

These are the only things that distinguish my desk from anyone else’s; my name, a Real Madrid badge and a badge of the ConfederaĆ§Ć£o Brasileira de Futebol (Brazilian Football Confederation). 

After one of my favorite players signed with Real Madrid in 2010, I began supporting them.  This then turned into a passion after taking a mission trip to El Salvador (yes, the Central American country that is more than 5,000 miles away from Spain) where everyone is crazy for either Real Madrid CF or FC Barcelona.  Now, Real Madrid represents a way of life for me.  The club represents the very essence of hard work, dedication, excellence and perseverance.   From 2010-2013 (4 seasons), they lost in the semi-finals of the Champions League (the most prestigious club tournament in Europe) each season.  This year, they finally reached the final, scored a game-tying goal in the final seconds of the game and went on to win in extra time (it was the most dramatic couple hours of my life, even more so than watching Titanic for the first time).  I use the heart-breaking moments I've experienced supporting Real Madrid to push me to work harder and I use the glorious moments to remind me that through hard work and perseverance, I will reach whatever goal it is that I have, despite setbacks/disappointments.       

The Brazil badge is a constant reminder of my ultimate goal which is to be able to call Brazil my home.  When I was younger, I loved the Brazilian national team but as I got older I realized that Brazil is actually a country and not just a football team (who knew?!).  The national team defines the Brazilian people though.  To say that Brazilians love futebol would be a massive understatement.  The very spirit of the game lives in Brazil.  Each Brazilian is born with ginga in their veins.  Ginga is hard to describe but if you watch Brazil play you will know it when you see it.  Ginga is the way Brazilians use their natural rhythm and creativity to deceive defenders.  It’s deep connection with the game and a love for the ball.  It is a perfect mix between being fluid and being coordinated.  It is the combination of dance and football; the end result being the Brazilian soul displayed on the field.


I went off track a little bit here regarding the actual topic of the blog (what my desk looks like) but these two badges are the only reminders and motivation I need each day.  I know that combining the unique features of the Madridista and Brasileiro ways of life in any aspect of life (including this internship) will make life much more enjoyable and fulfilling. 

Alex Norton
Global Supply Chain
Cleveland             

No comments:

Post a Comment