Friday, June 20, 2014

Yankees and Canucks

Working on the Internship project I've been given the chance to finally take a look at the two great countries side by side and compare them! One of the most interesting, fun and funny things I've learned throughout this project is the ridiculous differences between two neighboring countries that are viewed to be so similar!

Some random differences I've learned working with interns from Cleveland and UK as well as through information that Sophie and I have gathered through our focus on USA through the Hofstede's dimension scope!

Canadians use 'U' in a lot of words Americans do not! Colour - Color, Honour - Honor, Valour - Valor.

Canada - Metric System, USA - Imperial System

Canada 'z' = Zed  USA 'z' = Zee

Canada use the Toque to keep heads warm! USA use beanies or caps!

Tobogganing in Canada is second nature to call it Tobogganing. Opposed to the more commonly referred to Sledding in USA.

Canada is home to College and Universities, vs Americans commonly using College for same education levels! also in Canada, it's very rare, almost unheard of, to call someone a freshman or sophomore or junior/senior. It's more common 1st, 2nd, 3rd year, etc.

Pogos are what Canadians call Corndogs. It is actually just a brand of corndog but being that it's the main one, majority of Canadians just refer to Corndogs as Pogos!

Canadians have Pink Cream Soda.

We eat Kraft Dinner (which is the Canadian version of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese)

What blew my mind most was that being a milk lover, I drink a lot of milk and where I live in Canada, Milk comes in bags. You go to a store to get milk and 9/10 times you will buy it by purchasing a bag that has 3 smaller 1.3 litre bags of milk! Same price as buying it in a jug but it's more common to see it purchased by the bag! growing up with this I was completely shocked to find out that this was specific to only Canada!

I love being able to find new interesting, fun and funny facts and differences between all these amazing countries that Dwellworks has branched out to! Everyday I learn something new about somewhere I've never been and it makes me want to travel the world that much more! Thanks for the awesome project Dwellworks!

Shane Mitchell
Ottawa, Canada
Dwellworks
Destination Services Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment