Tuesday, June 10, 2014

College Life vs. Work Life

Since my first day at Dwellworks, I have noticed more and more things that make college and work life so different. 

1.       Waking up early is not easy. I make sure to get plenty of sleep the night before work. Unlike college where I can wake up 10 minutes before class, put on sweats, and walk across campus, I actually have to wake up early enough to give myself enough time to make my self look presentable and make the half hour commute downtown. Not being a morning person, this is extremely difficult some days.

2.       You won’t always have set deadlines. I am use to getting due dates of when projects and assignments are due while at school. Knowing these dates ahead gives me the opportunity to plan my day and schedule accordingly. At work, I might have an unexpected meeting or project to work on. Or I might have the opposite where I have free time and need to find something to do until the day is over. Managing my time is different without specific dates.

3.       Having a set meal time through the day takes time to adjust too. Waking up, I have breakfast to start my day. Around noon I have lunch and after work around 6 I have dinner. The problem with this is I cannot find the perfect amount to satisfy my hunger throughout the day. I tend to have a light breakfast which in return leads me to have a large lunch and then a light dinner again. At school, I am free to eat anytime I want and can go anywhere anytime I want. I am still getting use to this change.

I could go on and one about the difference between the two, but I am glad to be intern at this point in my life because it will give me experience before I start in the real world next year.
-Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment