Friday, June 20, 2014

On Desks and Philosophy


Desk, derived from the Latin word discus, and the Greek word δίσκος (diskos), which is a round or plate like object thrown for sport.

 

desk /'desk/ n. -  1a :  a table, frame, or case with a sloping or horizontal surface especially for writing and reading and often with drawers, compartments, and pigeonholes

b :  a reading table or lectern from which a liturgical service is read

c :  a table, counter, stand, or booth at which a person works

2a :  a division of an organization specializing in a particular phase of activity <the Russian desk in the Department of State>

b :  a seating position according to rank in an orchestra <a first-desk violinist>  

 

As you can see, in the course of history a desk has taken on many different meanings. One thing that stands out is its ability to have a reflection on the world around it. A desk changes based on the person and world around it. In this blog post we’ll explore this notion a little deeper, and try and find out the attributions and effects a desk can have on the atmosphere around it.

 

My work space or my desk is, like most other places, an association with how the brain interacts with its environment. When we walk into a certain room, for instance, our senses kick into high gear. We notice shapes, colors, smells, tastes, atmosphere (if it's dusty or musky), lighting, sounds, etc. Over the course of anywhere from a millisecond to years later our brain will make an opinion and change it based on different factors. The space itself may change, our tastes or perceptions change, different environmental factors come into play. All of this effects our perception of a space (in this case, my desk).

 

But where does the perception and association actually take place? Is it the physical dimensions of the current space and time that give us whatever it is that we feel; is it energy of action, people, plants, animals, and activities? Or is it something deeper. Metaphysics would say the argument existence (that in which something is) and essence (what something is) is the main conflict to provide the true definition of space and what actually is.

 

For instance, let's say someone walks into a room they haven't been in for 20 years. The time has obviously changed (it’s been 20 years), but also the existence and particulars of the room will have changed; things will be moved around, things may be worn down, things have been removed, etc. The essence and universals may or may not have changed with it however. For instance, memories and feelings associated with the room may come back. Maybe this was your childhood room, a room where you had many late nights with friends, a room where you first made love with your spouse, or a room where someone you knew passed away (so for instance, recalling good times and bad, and keeping with these thoughts currently). These memories, which everything else being constant, will not cause change.

However, change does occur when our essence or universals has changed relative to the rooms essence when the memories have been originally created, even if it’s actual physical existence remains the same. For instance, if there’s a grandfather’s clock in the room that reminded someone of their grandpa, if he had since passed since they last been in the room, the perception would have changed. Maybe someone will see their grandkids playing in a room that used be theirs, giving them new perspective. Even though the existence of the room may not have changed, the essence has. Association and perception have changed, and that may be a trigger for more emotion than just existential changes.

So what, you may be asking, does this have to do with my desk? Well, my desk’s existence and particulars are what most other desks may be. It resembles a table, its large, has technology on top of it, walls around it, it functions more or less like how a desk would normally function. The essence and universals, however, is where the complexities begin.  On a basic level, my existing with the desk allows it to give it some level of universal meaning; I bring forth things that give it qualities that aren’t tangible.  In effect, my existence is portrayed by the essence of the desk, or, a desk is a reflection of who I am. The physical qualities may change based on what I do to it, but my essence changes because it displays to others things about me.

Dig a little deeper and there’s multiple levels to the particular and universal properties of the desk. The work that I do on this desk has an effect, the people around it, the environment and other physical things around it beyond our control. It all has an effect on not only the desk but my existence and essence, because all the other factors have an effect on me because of my association with the desk and its exact existence.

For instance, let’s say I move my desk. I may not move far, maybe down a couple isles, even if I’m still on the same floor. This may have a complete change of my essence despite only a slight change of existence. First and foremost my perspective changes because of the new location; I may see things I once didn’t, I may feel more open or closed in. However the people in close proximity have changed, so my interactions with them may become different. The environment around me has changed, so I may be more open to the outside environment, things may affect me more not related to the company, etc.

With all of this information comes the conclusion to what a desk actually is then. In Full Metal Jacket, there’s a moment when the grunts are receiving their guns. They have to say in unison “This is my weapon, there may be others like it, but this one is mine”. Same ideals apply here. My desk may look like any other desk, but this one is mine. Its existence and essence are a reflection into who I am, and its exact location and relativity to people and the environment have given me the exact emotions and reactions that I have had throughout my time here so far. I don’t know if I had my desk anywhere else would have caused me to have a different experience, but it is very possible it could have. I’m thankful however; this has been my experience so far.
-Frank Hudson

No comments:

Post a Comment