Monday, June 16, 2014

Why I Applied for the Dwellworks Internship

As we approach the end of our fourth week as interns at Dwellworks, now would seem like a good time to reflect on why I chose to apply for a role with the Destination Services team. Having just completed my final year at Cardiff University, I found myself caught in a Catch 22 situation. Like many other arts degrees, the skills acquired through studying English Literature are not career-specific, and so it seemed like I had both very few-and all too many-options for career progression.

There were a few different career-paths that really stood out for me, but being ultimately unsure about what kind of direction I wanted to go in, I decided to seek out an internship for the summer. While this might seem unusual to do, having already completed my degree, in the UK the concept of an internship is a relatively new phenomenon. In recent years, however, more people have been going to university than ever before and so the message became clear; a degree is not enough.

I spent some time looking at various different intern programmes, thinking that I’d have to spend my summer days making coffee and filing paperwork in a gloomy office in the city. By pure chance, I stumbled upon the Destination Services role. It was exactly the kind of thing that I had been looking for and, for someone who knows very little about the world of relocations, it seemed like a great way to gauge whether or not I’d be suitable for this kind of industry.

Four weeks in and I can definitely say that I’ve learnt a lot about how a company like Dwellworks operates. I’ve been given some great opportunities to take part in things that will help me to progress in my future career endeavours. Working with the other interns on our international project has been a huge highlight for me and has really opened my mind to aspects of business conduct that I’d never even considered. I’ve been sitting in on a few of my office’s business calls and so I’m getting to experience the company from a huge range of perspectives.
Sophie Moore

Destination Services
Dwellworks, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment