Monday, June 2, 2014

Post-Student Living: From Campus to the Office

I'm not going to lie; finishing my degree was a huge shock to the system. With the relief of hitting my deadlines, came the realization that the long lie-ins and carefree fun of my student days would soon be long gone. Fortunately, I had only a week between completing my degree and starting as an intern at Dwellworks, so the time for me to lament my losses was fairly minimal.

Despite the initial shock, the transition from university-life to the working world was not as drastic as I had anticipated it would be. In terms of work-load, I definitely feel like I'm just as busy as I was throughout my final year. As an English Literature graduate, the most significant difference for me has been the leap from spending my days pondering over novels and poetry to using my brain in an entirely different, and much more factual manner.

Although the job involves a lot of communication with clients and colleagues, I spend a lot of my day going through numbers and working with data in a way that I have never needed to before. It took me a while to get used to Excel and there have been a few times where I have committed the classic intern faux-paus of turning to Google. As the end of Week 2 approaches, however, I really feel like I'm starting to find my feet and get into the swing of things.

Infact, the day-to-day skills needed for office-life are not all that different from those used throughout my degree. There's a huge emphasis on the importance of strong communication and I'm constantly analyzing and interpreting pieces of information. Organisation is key, as is the ability to manage and structure my own working-day.

There are still times where I slip-up, but I try to use my mistakes in a way which allows me to learn and progress in my role. Overall, I'm really starting to embrace my journey from book-loving student to business-minded intern.

...I still need to get used to those 6am mornings, though!

Sophie
Destination Services Intern
UK Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment