Friday, June 6, 2014

Frank Hudson - My Impression on the Uniqueness of Dwellworks

Dwellworks is unique.


I could literally stop writing and that would be my impression of Dwellworks so far. It is unique in regards to being completely different then anything I have experienced so far.


However, it goes a lot deeper than that. Dwellworks is unique on so many different levels. And I'd like to get into those.


First off, let's be honest, a lot of people don't exactly know what relocation services are. I tell people I'm interning for a relocation services company and they look at me like I'm Elvis Presley. Honestly, before I started I had no idea what the hell relocation services were either. Not a lot of people do, and that's something that's unique.


Second, the location. Our headquarters are in the heart of downtown Cleveland, which, as any one from Cleveland knows, is pretty unique in and of itself. There's a lot of different people, places to go, things to see, places to eat and drink at, essentially creating it's own vibe and heartbeat. I'm not fully sure how Detroit and the other major areas are, but I think it would be the same feeling. Its different feel allows it to be unique.


Third, the business model. That's something that may seem more normal to what other companies have (for instance, in the town hall meetings Gene introduced the buy, build, grow, and when possible improve model). And frankly, it seems to make a lot of sense. A lot of business should be doing this. However, that's not the feeling I get nowadays when it comes to business models.  They seem to focus on only one aspect, such as acquiring, turning them around, and then selling them off. Or another company building on what a previous company had done before. In this regard, Dwellworks is a complete company. It's constantly growing and improving, and now growing organically! That's something that's unique.


Fourth, the people. The lifeblood of the company. I feel it's something very underrated but very, very important to any business. Being in this atmosphere with these specific people is probably my biggest surprise of interning here so far. I didn't expect to be as it has been. My stereotype toward business is everyone's like a drone, or a grunt, something that you tag a number on that just does one specific function with any vibrancy or passion. That's not Dwellworks. Every person here is unique, it's a melting pot of every different type of personality imaginable. And it's nice, it makes me feel comfortable, at ease, like I can be myself. I can have a conversation with Bob and Gene and feel extremely comfortable with it. I can (within HR regulations and policies, of course) joke around and bond with the other employees. It's an amazing experience, and something that I've been extremely lucky to have been a part of so far. And of course, it's unique!


Finally, the corporate values. I feel a lot of companies just roll out its mission statement like some lull and dull words that's just like yeah whatever. Dwellworks however, prides itself on it's values. It focuses on them and what they stand for. Integrity, Teamwork, Performance, Innovation, and Fun. This company truly believes in these things. And it's a great feeling, and one that's definitely unique.


Being unique and different is something that helps anyone or anything stand out. It helps keep the energy going and creative juices flowing. I think Dwellworks does a great job at it, it's something that makes them stand out from their competitors, something that helps bring people together and have them to the best job possible.


It's something that's truly unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment